Friday, December 10, 2010

Binding, binding, binding.....


Sewing the binding on two quilts today.
Once it's on, I can pick up this handwork to do in the evening while the TV watches me.

I know a lot of quilters have learned how to stitch down the binding by machine, but I am not one of them. I can sew it on by machine, but must stitch it down by hand once it is folded over to the back side of the quilt.

There is something pleasing about doing this last little bit by hand. My grandmother, the first quilter I was aware of, used to piece by hand. She and the "Ladies Aid Society" used to meet and hand quilt their quilts at a large frame set up in the living room during the winter, and under the black walnut trees out in the side yard during the summer.

Although I was taught to hand piece, I abandoned it quickly and wouldn't be a quilter today if I hadn't learned to use a rotary cutter and my sewing machine.

So, when I hand stitch the binding on my quilt, it is an homage to my Grandmother and I am satisfied.

4 comments:

maree said...

I'm with you Susan as far as that final bit of hand stitching goes. I too, find it a soothing process...unless I leave it to the last minute and am doing it in the car as we are racing to the event the quilt is actually due to be given at!!!!! But for me it is a time that I reflect on the whole process of having made the quilt...sounds a bit odd perhaps, but it gives me some final thinking time about what has gone into the making of the quilt.
Love the colours of the quilt in the photo by the way - looks very pretty. Ciao

Fabric Fanatic said...

Maree, exactly! Thanks for finding just the right words...

Rian said...

Lovely sentiment. I am not good at hand sewing, so I do the binding by machine (both sides), unless it's going in a show. I AM my mother's daughter--thoroughly convenience-oriented.

Rian said...

Forgot to say---those are two magnificent quilts! Love the colors--so happy.

Me

Me
Maya and I Dancing

Quilty Pleasures

  • JR Flamingo, the Quilt Shop on Fulton Avenue
  • Quilter's Blogs
  • Free Patterns
  • Wednesdays with the Quilty Girls at The Quilt Shop in New Market Center, Boone, NC

Guilty Pleasures

  • Fabric!!! ~ Are you Surprised??? LOL
  • The Sopranos (on A&E)